Monday, May 4, 2015

Just What is P.R.I.D.E.?



Have you been wondering what those letters in the acronym P.R.I.D.E. stand for?

Third grade students at HSA-DE have been learning what it means to show Horizon Pride since the very first day of third grade. Students were familiar with the idea of Horizon Pride from previous years at HSA-DE, but this year, they truly learned the meaning of P.R.I.D.E.


On the first day of third grade, students learned that having good character means that we should do all of the things that we need to do to show our Horizon P.R.I.D.E. They learned that the


  • P means, "I should be proud and feel good about myself every day." 
  • R means,  "I need to be responsible and do my part." 
  • I stands for independent and means, "I should be able to work on my own."
  • D is for dedicated which means, "I don’t let anything stand in my way."
  • E stands for educated because "I know that my mind is important and I should nurture it." 
Students learned that they can show P.R.I.D.E. in everything they do at school and at home!

Throughout the year we have focused on ways we show that we are proud.  We show that we are proud by doing our classwork and homework neatly and when we complete an assignment, we put our names on it so that we take ownership of our work...anything with our name on it is a representation of ourselves.  We behave in ways that give others our best representation of ourselves...we are proud of our identity.

We show that we are responsible when we turn in our assignments on time.  We show that we are responsible when we come to school on time.  By following the classroom rules and procedures, we also show that we are responsible.  Being role model students (having all necessary supplies, wearing our uniform, following building and classroom rules) and role model citizens, we are responsible to each other.

We have discussed that to be independent means not only to work on our own but to also follow procedures without reminders.  As we are maturing in the school building, we are becoming role models for younger students.  We should no longer have to rely on reminders to obey rules; rather, we should independently remember them.  We discussed knowing to do some things without being told.  Finally, we discussed their desire to be treated less like a "little kid" and more like one of the older students in the building and how their demonstration of  independent behaviors will lead to that outcome.

During this year, we have routinely discussed how being a dedicated student will set themselves up for success.  They have had constant reminders that if they work hard today, in the future they will have to work less hard.  By being dedicated to their job as a student, they will develop good habits that will help them get into a good university or college.  Having high expectations/ goals and the dedication necessary to reach them will lead to higher achievement and higher outcomes.

Finally, we discussed that by being proud, responsible, independent, and dedicated, they will be more successful at being educated.  The first four letters of our P.R.I.D.E. acronym are key components to the fifth.  Each one goes hand in hand and leads to positive academic results.

Students were told that if even one of the letters or key components  that comes before the E was missing, that they would be less successful at obtaining a HIGHER ACHIEVING education.

In order to keep the focus on P.R.I.D.E., students were required to write this acronym on the heading of their assignments each day, along with their name and date.  This was to help them always remember to take pride in what they were getting ready to do.

Students were randomly divided into P.R.I.D.E. groups at the beginning of the year.  Each student was assigned a number and a letter.  Numbers corresponded to their locker number and text book numbers.  Letters corresponded to which P.R.I.D.E. group they were in.

Each day of the week was assigned a P.R.I.D.E. letter.  Monday was the letter P.  Tuesday was R.  Wednesday was I.  Thursday was D.  And, Friday was E.  On each day of the week, the corresponding group was the highlighted group of the day.  That group would get special privileges.  For example, they would be called to line up first and they would be first to be dismissed to lockers.  They might also be first to get to pick from the recess cart.

Whenever we did science labs or group work in social studies, reading, or math, students worked in collaborative P.R.I.D.E. groups with other students who shared the same letter.

As part of our positive behavior plan, students would earn points based on their behavior, attendance, and academics each day.  We call these "P.R.I.D.E. Points".  Students have an opportunity to earn up to 10 points per day.

And, as always, at the end of each month, the entire school celebrated good behavior  (and for third grade, academic standing) with a school-wide P.R.I.D.E. party.  At these P.R.I.D.E. parties, students would participate in fun events, earn treats such as pizza and juice, and often get to spend P.R.I.D.E. points at a special P.R.I.D.E. store.

Third grade students really seemed to benefit from full implementation and education of the P.R.I.D.E. system this year. It is my hope that they will continue to demonstrate the characteristics of P.R.I.D.E. for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment